Osun state workers who had been going back and forth on the industrial action over non-payment of their salaries have been recalled back to their duty post by the labour unions in the state..
The suspension of the strike was announced by the chairman, Nigerian Labour Congress Osun Council, Mr. Jacob Adekomi on Wednesday, 29th July, 2015 after entering into a new agreement with the state government.
In The MOU jointly signed by the labour leaders and the representatives of the state government, workers in the state are to expect payment for 2015 February salary arrears, starting for Monday, 3rd August.
Mr. Adekomi said the decision to suspend the industrial action was taken in the interest of the state workforce and the state government with a vow to resume the strike if the agreements were not honoured on Monday next week.
While directing all the workers to resume with immediate effect, the NLC Chairman maintained that the state Government had renewed it’s commitment to full employment and not retrenchment of workers.
Also speaking, the Chief of Staff to the Governor, Alhaji Gboyega Oyetola who said government had never reneged on its agreement said the industrial action was due to shortfall in the federal allocation which is not peculiar to the State alone.
He appreciated the workers for their understanding, and assured that all their remaining salary arrears would be paid immediately funds are available through the various means being explored by the Government.
The workers had failed to resume citing inability of the government to pay February salaries as part of an earlier agreement reached with the government.
However, the government had told workers that the payment that was effected was based on the available funds and the urgent need to cater to the needs of all strata of workers in the state instead of paying only a few sections and leaving the others.